AN INTRODUCTION TO HEATHROW AIRPORT (2012, 7 mins).
An introduction to the compilation by Bryan Wolfe.
1) LONDON AIRPORT (1949, 10 mins) - The story of the great engineering feat of the building of Heathrow - one of the largest airports in the world. The film traces the developmental history of the airport from April 1944, when building began, to 1949 when aircraft were arriving from all quarters of the globe laden with passengers and precious cargoes of many nations.
2) LONDON AIRPORT AIRCRAFT RECOGNITION (1949, 8 mins) An overview of some of the aircraft types to be spotted at Heathrow in its first year of international passenger operation. Includes the Skymaster, Lockheed Constellation, the Sud-Est Languedoc, the Convair 240 and the Boeing Stratocruiser. Previously unreleased.
3) WINGS OVER THE WORLD (1950, 32 mins) Shot entirely during the first few operational months in 1949 when London Airport (Heathrow) was a mere conglomeration of huts, this wonderfully nostalgic documentary features a wealth of long gone passenger aircraft including Brabazons, Comets, Constellations, Viscounts, Vikings and the Avro York.
4) IN ON THE BEAM (1951, 10 mins) - A rarely seen and fascinating insight into Heathrow's air and ground control approach systems culminating in London Ground Control Approach talking down a Viking airliner in a = blind approach in foggy conditions with the aid of radar.
5) AIR CROSSROADS - LONDON (1958, 15 mins) - A 'behind the scenes' account of the mammoth organisation required to maintain a constant stream of passenger and freight air-traffic at the busiest international airport in the world. Featuring a variety of passenger jet airliners in Swiss Air, Air India, Air France and BOAC liveries!
6) AIRPORT (1965, 38 mins) - A classic and groundbreaking 'day in the life' documentary of Heathrow Airport filmed unobtrusively in an 'eavesdropping' style without commentary, letting the situations and interactions of staff and passengers speak for themselves. Previously unreleased.
Buy Now at...